Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Cooking Spree

   All those who know me well will also know that I am not a big fan of cooking. In fact kitchen was one of the least visited place at my house. But things change and so do people. Got married... have no choice but to cook. And guess what... I have been so bored lately that I turned my attention to cooking. I have cooked An Orange Cake, Carrot Halwa and Gulab Jamuns in the past three days... Phew !!
  The Orange Cake didn't turn up so good. But I must tell you the syrup was lovely. The orange flavor was just so yummy. The problem occurred because I have never used the microwave at my in laws place before. So I thought it'll have a temperature setting by default. But unfortunately it wasn't there. Probably there was one but I couldn't find it...he he.. Anyways my sister in law and me tried in vain to find one. finally we pressed some preset key and allowed it to bake for 40 min or so... In the meantime while I was changing my baby's diaper when my sister in law came running to tell me how the cake had almost burnt and she stopped it. So we ended up with a cake burnt at the edges but nice at the center.

   The Carrot Halwa and Gulab Jamuns were delicious. That's what people who ate it said.
Generally people prepare Jamuns with the instant mix that one gets in the store. But the Jamuns I made were completely home made. Today I'll be sharing my Ami's recipe to make the delicious mouth watering jamuns.

To make 13 -16 jamuns you'll need
1) 1 cup Milk Powder
2) 1 egg
3) 1 tablespoon flour (Maida)
4) A pinch of baking soda
5) 1 tablespoon oil




Syrup
1) 1 cup sugar
2) 3 cups of water
3) 3-4 cardamom

  So to make the jamuns, mix all the ingredients for Jamuns to make a soft dough. Keep aside for 10 min. Make small balls out of the dough. Deep fry in hot oil till its golden brown. Drop the jamuns into the boiling sugar syrup.
To make the syrup add the syrup ingredients and boil till its slightly viscous.
Refrigerate for a few hours. Chilled jamuns taste the best !


Gulab Jamuns is one of my favorite Sweet. Try it out and let me know how you liked it.







1 comment:

  1. I liked the jamun words rather than the preparation. this like how life makes a lazy kitchenate and to active one. if you have interest nothing can stop you from excel.

    Beautiful natural way of writing. it so sweet like the jamuns. keep it up nisha you will become a natural writer than a cook.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...